When Chris and I first got married we purchased a mattress. Just a mattress. After sleeping on our mattress for a few weeks, we both decided we didn’t like it. When we bought it we picked a slightly harder mattress because we thought it would be easier to get up in the morning because we wouldn’t be too cozy and want to stay in bed. Our logic was completely flawed and we ended up with a bed that was hurting our backs. Luckily we had a 100 day return policy, so we returned it and decided not to buy another one. Since we would soon be moving from California to New Jersey, we decided to sleep on our air mattress… for 4 months. Yes we are a little crazy. But overall it would save us money (moving costs), so we did it. But boy was I ready to get a real mattress once we moved.
After our cross country road trip, we got to our new apartment and whipped out our air mattress until we got settled. After a few nights in the apartment Chris was convinced that we could sleep on the air mattress for a few more months! I was not ok with that. However, about a month in, Chris woke up one Saturday morning and announced that we were getting a bed that day! We even got a box spring to go with it… watch out! We assembled our new bed on the floor and then it stayed like that… for a year.
Because I wanted to build our bed the process of getting our mattress off the floor was prolonged, especially because we couldn’t agree on what we wanted. Farmhouse bed? Storage bed? There were so many options and because I am indecisive and dislike making mistakes, it takes me forever to make decisions. But I finally decided and now we have a bed!
This bed was fairly simple to make. I cut all the wood at my in-laws’ house and assembled everything at our apartment. The plans are from Ana White’s website (here are plans for the headboard and the frame) though I did make some changes based on my preferences and to fit a queen size bed. I finished all the basic assembly in one evening after work.
Next I moved everything onto the patio to sanded it. After wiping it down to remove the dust I put one coat of Minwax Pre-Stain on the wood so it would absorb the stain evenly. Then I brushed on the stain (Minwax Dark Walnut) with a foam brush, let it sit for 15-20 minutes and wiped it off with a rag.
We moved our bed into the living room for a slumber party so I could assemble the bed in our bedroom.
I made the inside frame on the floor. Then we assembled the outside frame and fitted them together. Once that felt secure we used brackets to attach the frame to the headboard and then it was time to seal it. I applied 3 coats of Safecoat Acrylacq to the bed. I got the recommendation from Young House Love for it being toxin free. I seriously felt like I was painting milk onto our bed, but it dried clear. After 24 hours of drying we moved everything in and finally slept on our new bed.